Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Step Sixty Four: Wu-Tang Clan: A Better Tomorrow.

Artist:  Wu-Tang Clan
Album:  A Better Tomorrow
Producers:  RZA ("Ruckus in B-Minor" co-produced by Rick Rubin; "40th Street Black / We Will Fight" and "Keep Watch" co-produced by Mathematics), 4th Disciple ("Miracle" and "Necklace").
Release Date:  December 2, 2014

Review:  Hoo boy.  Now we get to the tricky shit.  I knew when I started Map of Shaolin that more group or dolo albums would be released in the 14-16 month period that I was writing.  I figured I'd do my best to talk about them at their release then come back to them at their proper space on the Map, and now here we are.

So for starters, please look back at my first/quick review of Wu's sixth group LP, A Better Tomorrow, by clicking right here.  If you'd rather not, here's the summary.

In 2012 or so, rumors started buzzing that Wu-Tang would release another LP for the 20th anniversary of their debut Enter the Wu-Tang.  Unfortunately, a very public rift between Raekwon and RZA seemed to dash hopes for bringing the full group back together.  It reached the point where RZA stated that they'd do the album without Rae if they needed to, but their conflict resolved in mid-late 2014 and Rae ended up putting in verses for five of the album's 15 tracks before its release on December 2nd, 2014.  In the year or so leading up to the album, Wu put out several tracks - "Wu-Tang Reunion," which started its life as "Family Reunion;" "Keep Watch" and (premiering on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart) "Ron O'Neal" all debuted well before the release.

So what's on it?  Musically, the sound expands on RZA's post-Iron Flag love for live instruments that we've seen on 8 Diagrams and their collaborations with The Revelations - we hear some of the full band motif in "Ruckus in B Minor" and "Preacher's Daughter."  The album covers a wide tonal range, from the positively bright and glowing old soul sounds of "A Better Tomorrow" and "Wu-Tang Reunion" to the darker "Pioneer the Frontier" and "Necklace."  A couple of those bold choices don't quite pay off.  For example, the Wu get a pass on making a rap ballad in "Miracle" since everyone else seems to get to do it without taking shit (I'm looking at you, "Stan"), but its rock-solid verses clash with an ending that ventures too close to nu-metal or '00s rap-rock territory for my tastes.  I love it right until the end, and then I fake it.  Lyrically, I think the Clan are all on point.  U-God has struggled a couple times in the past but not here, and I was surprised at myself for how pleased I was with the tracks that Cappadonna leads off on.  RZA also picks up the slack from his "bitches and blunts" Bobby Digital persona, which is a big relief.

Now a bit more on the album.

Every emcee gets several chances to shine throughout the record.  RZA's tightest appearances may be his quick verse/bridge on "Crushed Egos" and "Ron O'Neal" while Rae kills "Crushed Egos" as well.  GZA's best may be "Ruckus in B Minor" although his other verses aren't to be taken lightly.  Inspectah Deck is an extinction-level-event opener for the album; U-God makes his mark the strongest on "Pioneer the Frontier" while Ghost spits bold lines in-character on "Necklace" and "Preacher's Daughter."  Masta Killa brings "Felt" to life as well as slaying his verse on "Miracle."
  Method Man is as fun as he's ever been on "Keep Watch" and "40th Street Black / We Will Fight," but he's got great life and energy on "A Better Tomorrow."  Cappadonna, who I've often bemoaned as hit-or-miss, really tightens up most of his appearances on the album, especially "Keep Watch" and "Necklace."  For specific lyrical quotes, check the quick review link up top.

By the numbers, here's how everyone checks in.  I didn't count hooks since so many are provided by samples and non-Wu vocalists.

Masta Killa and Method Man - 10 verses and one bridge each.
Cappadonna - Nine verses.
Inspectah Deck - Eight verses.
Ghostface Killah - Seven verses.
GZA, Raekwon, U-God - Six verses each.
RZA - Four verses, three bridges (plus production on 14 tracks).
Ol' Dirty Bastard - Hype lines on three tracks, taken from samples.

Legacy:  Now that I've gotten eight months hindsight on the album, I stand by most of my first impressions from last December.  I still think it gets a bit awkward somewhere between "Felt" and "Hold the Heater," but I warmed up to those tracks (and "Never Let Go," which I was iffy about) over time.  Some will argue that no song should ever need "warming up to," but I vote for the reward from that effort every time.  I love instant classics, but if something takes me awhile to appreciate, I tend to dig it a lot more.  Now, I will apologize for saying that Method Man is the "clear hero" of A Better Tomorrow, since I counted verses (as I do) and realized Masta Killa is on the album just as much as Meth  - sorry MK!  I recognize that Meth is one of the most popular Wu members, so it makes sense for some reviewers to praise his involvement - which they imply glued the album together - but I'd hate to sell the other guys short.  I was also mistaken thinking that MK was on "Hold the Heater," so my apologies.

Also, my opinions on the Raekwon/RZA beef have changed in light of Rae dissing the album as "soft" since its release.  I think Rae's a brilliant rapper, from flow to rhymes to style to presence, but I'm not sure about him disapproving of ABT, then appearing on five tracks, then dissing it again.  Then again, I think it's important to have the whole Clan on the album and his appearances are great so I can't say they'd be better off without.

A Better Tomorrow was received with mixed reviews.  Adjusted to a scale of 1 to 10, the album was given about a 6 by The Guardian, Pitchfork, A.V. Club, Spin and Slant Magazine.  Rolling Stone wasn't as kind, rating it as just a 5.  On the other hand, AllMusic, Robert Christgau, The Independent and NME all rated it between a 7 and 9.  I personally think the album succeeds as a whole, with some standout tracks (listed below) balancing out the least impressive songs.  It seems like Wu-Tang's inevitable last record together has been questioned since ODB died between Iron Flag and 8 Diagrams, if not sooner.  I for one hope to see more great albums by each member of Wu-Tang even if A Better Tomorrow (or, optimistically, the odd-release Once Upon a Time in Shaolin) is the last group album we get.  Ultimately their future is up to them at this point.  A Better Tomorrow is not without its cracks in the armor, but it's an armor that can only be pierced by the Wu-Tang sword.

Recommended Tracks:  Ruckus in B Minor, Keep Watch, Pioneer the Frontier, A Better Tomorrow, Ron O'Neal.

No comments:

Post a Comment