Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Map, the Plan.

Starting Wednesday, April 30, Map of Shaolin officially launches as a 16-month weekly blog project.  The purpose of Map of Shaolin is to discuss, analyze and review every studio album released by the groundbreaking hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan and its original nine members: RZA, GZA, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Inspectah Deck, Raekwon the Chef, U-God, Ghostface Killah, Masta Killa and Method Man.  We're starting with the oldest Wu-Tang album - the 1993 smash hit Enter the Wu-Tang - and moving up from there.

First I'd like to show you the map (pardon the font size), then I have a quick FAQ after it to answer the questions that will inevitably pop up as you review the map.



Q: Are you associated with Wu-Tang Clan?
A: No.  Unless you count the cost of that map probably helping to put their kids through school.

Q: Why not Cappadonna?
A: No disrespect, but Cappadonna wasn't made an official member of the group until after their biggest two releases: Enter the Wu-Tang and Wu-Tang Forever.  Since Cappadonna is featured on Wu-Tang Forever left and right, as well as on solo albums, I'll still discuss his contributions, but I'm only looking at the careers of the first nine Wu generals.

Q: What about soundtracks, compilations, guest appearances, side projects etc?
A: This is a little trickier.  If I bought every album by every Wu-related act and every guest spot on every soundtrack and other artists' records, I'd end up with another 150 CD's to review with only a fleeting connection to this masterful group, so I'm running on a loose policy of "50% Wu or better."  I have to make some exceptions based on the heart though.  Afro Samurai: Resurrection has a soundtrack produced by RZA, but original Wu members only appear on about 30% of the tracks - but I'm gonna discuss it.  On the other hand, RZA produced the entire first Northstar CD but I'm not reviewing that.

Q: Will you review upcoming albums like GZA's Dark Matter and Wu-Tang's A Better Tomorrow?
A: I'll probably add most commercially available records onto the end, even if they come out during this weekly project.  However, since Wu-Tang's secret album Once Upon a Time in Shaolin is going to be listen-only and touring the country, I feel like anyone reading this would want to know about it ASAP to figure out if they should go listen...So if I get the chance to hear it in the middle of the project, I'll bump everything back a week and put my Once Upon a Time in Shaolin review up the day I hear it.

Q: So is this just gonna be ~65 album reviews?
A: Naw. No review scores, but a quick discussion of each album: favorite tracks, trivia, best rhymes, what it meant for that person's career, etc.  Also, not just albums; I have copies of related films like Shaolin and Wu-Tang, Five Deadly Venoms, Shogun Assassin, Ghost Dog, Afro Samurai and Man with the Iron Fists that I'll be talking about on the weekend before their related album's discussion (e.g. Masta Killa sampled Five Deadly Venoms to open his solo debut No Said Date, so my Five Deadly Venoms review will go up a couple days before I talk about No Said Date).

Q: Why did you rename the blog?
A: The idea of "Wu Wednesdays" predates this project, so I thought about it and realized it may cause confusion to name my blog after it - or seem like I was trying to capitalize off someone else's efforts, which I'm not. Nobody contacted me or asked me to change it; I just figured this would be clearer and less confusing.

Keep an eye out in coming days for my review of the classic kung-fu flick Shaolin and Wu-Tang, then my Enter the Wu-Tang discussion on April 30!


No comments:

Post a Comment